ASAMS offers a wide range of testing, with all test pieces machined in house by experienced machinists.
Testing services include tensile, hardness and charpy impact testing. Full details of all material testing are outlined below.
The laboratory is in a purpose built, fully air conditioned building to ensure all testing is carried out in the optimal conditions.
ASAMS have invested heavily over the past 3 years to ensure all equipment is up-to date and provides results of the highest reliability.
All testing is carried out by fully qualified metallurgists or technicians and we are happy to have testing witnessed by clients or certifying authorities as required.
Our staff are happy to assist in deciding on the correct testing and the interpretation of any results.
A link to our full UKAS accreditation can be found by following the link below.
- Bend Testing, (ISO, ASME IX & AWS)
- Charpy Impact Testing (ISO and ASTM)
450 J Capacity, Ambient to -196°C
Lateral Expansion & Percentage Shear
- Hardness Testing (ISO & ASTM)
Vickers, 5 kg & 10 kg loads
Rockwell, B & C scales
Brinell, 3000 kg/10 mm ball
- Macro Examination
- Fracture Testing/Nick Break Testing (ISO and ASTM)
Weld Procedure and Welder Qualification Testing to ISO, ASME, AWS and Client Specifications
Non-destructive ferrite determination using a Fisher Feritscope (FMP30) can be performed by our staff or is available for hire with full training provided.
A range of metallographic tests are covered under our UKAS accreditation;
- ASTM E562, Ferrite Determination
- ASTM A247, Graphite Content
- ASTM B487, Coating Thickness
- ASTM A923 Method A, Detrimental Intermetallic Phases
- ASTM E112, Grain Size Determination
- DNV-RP-F112 Section 7, Austenite Spacing
Micrographic examination is carried out by our documented in-house procedure by fully trained and experienced staff.
A range of corrosion testing can be carried out in-house under our UKAS accreditation;
- ASTM G48 Method A, Pitting Corrosion Resistance
- ASTM A923 Method C, Pitting Corrosion Resistance
- ASTM A262 Method A, Susceptibility to Intergranular Attack
- ASTM A262 Method E, Susceptibility to Intergranular Attack
When required additional specialist corrosion testing can be arranged by subcontract to other UKAS accredited laboratories.
Failure Analysis & Consultancy
Failure analysis and materials consultancy can also be carried out by our metallurgists and these can be tailored to meet your specific needs. For full details please click the link below.
Reinforcing Steel Testing
A range of tests on parent material and welds reinforcing steels for concrete.
We are able to offer a comprehensive range of chemical analysis testing through our long standing links with UKAS accredited laboratories on a sub-contract basis. All metals can be analysed including gases if required.
ASAMS offers hardness testing using an Equotip 3 portable hardness tester. This is available to be used by our trained staff or can be hired with full training provided.